BudgIT Civic-Tech Media Fellowship for Journalists Application, Eligibility, Requirement and Guideline for the 2017/2018 session.
- Application Deadline: March 24, 2017
- Announcement of Winners: April 10, 2017
- Fellowship Program Begins: May – October 2017
The BudgIT Civic-Tech Media Fellowship is a six-month, highly competitive fellowship designed to support journalists solely interested in writing human-angle stories. Applicants must be attached to a mainstream or online media organization with significant national and online reach, possessing knowledge of, and an awareness of social media and tech tools that aid reportage.
BudgIT Civic-Tech Media Fellowship Requirements:
- BudgIT seek applications from candidates interested in pursuing stories and themes that cover budget access, project tracking, use of extractive revenues, social justice, anti-corruption, open governments and transparency efforts. Fellows will be engaged in data journalism training sessions with experienced journalists and in-house BudgIT developers.
- Under their guidance, each fellow will be expected to deliver a data-driven, civic tech project that illustrates and complements their story.
- BudgIT also expects Fellows to deliver an average of at least three stories per month, widely circulated on their platforms, with sufficient brand visibility for BudgIT.
- The BudgIT Civic-Tech Media Fellowship allows talented individuals to build their capacity and go on to become professionals who will pursue the greater socio-economic futures they want to see in Africa.
BudgIT Civic-Tech Media Fellowship – Benefits:
All fellows receive training, mentoring and a minimal stipend to enable them pursue socio-economic development via journalism, and also develop innovative tools that expand engagement at grassroots level.
BudgIT Civic-Tech Media Fellowship Application Procedure
- Applicants are expected to submit a 400-word essay on “Development Reporting: What Matters most to me” as well as a 400-word pitch on their intended story idea/ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shortlisted journalists are expected to be contacted by April 10. 2017.
For More Information: